Thursday, September 8, 2011

Overheard (Perhaps Incorrectly) Archive

I overhear a lot of things on the street. This post will become an archive of some of my favorites. *I make no guarantee that I am correctly representing what was ACTUALLY said, though I do promise not to take any conscious creative liberties in the reproduction of these conversational snippets - what is printed is what i heard, accurate or not.

*I am hesitant to describe these people by skin color/phenotypic variation, but i do so anyway because i want to portray a scene, and frankly, i don't know these assholes.
But before I get carried away, i must also mention the following, as an effort for peace:

-"Genetic and fossil evidence is interpreted to show that archaic Homo sapiens evolved to anatomically modern humans solely in Africa, between 200,000 and 150,000 years ago..." [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recent_African_origin_of_modern_humans]



- "We will continue to despise people until we have recognized, loved and accepted what is despicable in ourselves." - Martin Luther King Jr.

The truth is, my heartmind tells me that exploration/learning/growth/joy (best wishes!) requires a context: Community and variation are real phenomena, and through time behaviors are reinforced and+or redesigned; Let us be mindful of our neighbors, and love them more than we're able (pretty please).

------

Thank You for thinking.

..

Now, without further ado, here are the quotes:

------

- "I see you got chiggers at your grandmother's."  [9/8/11 - said to a young caucasian male college student by an older caucasoid woman who was with an older cauc. male. the conversants seemed to know each other (and lord, i hope so). the other part of what i heard was the older woman continuing the conversation in this way: "...oh yeah, Jim, he was covered with bites." good stuff.]

-"We had just taken some fun nuggets out of the oven." [9/19/11. Two middle-aged, large caucasian women on the way to somewhere, from somewhere (probably lunch). I looked up "fun nuggets" during my lunch break - they're "chicken" (probably so, admittedly) nuggets, in fun shapes (like dinosaurs). I like this one because ANYTHING said after "we had just taken some fun nuggets out of the oven" is going to be hilarious. ANYTHING! Try it yourself!]

No comments:

Post a Comment